Superior Moving & Storage, expert home movers in Kansas City, know a thing or two about downsizing. Most often it occurs after your children have left home and you find yourself wandering around in your large, empty-feeling home, faced with the question of whether you should keep the big family home or sell it. Or maybe you have to learn to live on retirement income, and need to cut expenses.
There may be regrets about the decision to downsize – letting go is never easy. Think of the new opportunities that might present themselves to you – a new job, a new location, or travel. Once you have made the decision to downsize, then comes the job of deciding what to keep and what to get rid of. Superior Moving & Storage are home movers who have handled a lot of moves for “empty-nesters” in Kansas City. We are expert home movers, so we know how to help you with this task and offer these tips to help in the process.
- Take inventory and decide what you would replace if it all were gone. Sifting through years of possessions in order to prepare for downsizing can be overwhelming. The sentimental pangs can be powerful and may require some help. Ask someone you trust to help you.
- Prioritize what to keep and what needs to be removed. Remember – you are going to be living in less space so you only want your home movers to move the most important items.
- Sell or donate what you are removing. The idea of throwing out items that have held sentimental value may cause you stress; however, selling or donating that item may provide you peace of mind since you know someone else will enjoy them. You can donate to charity shops, sell things online (Facebook/Craigslist), have a garage sale or hold an auction.
- Decide on type of new home: condo, apartment, a smaller house, a retirement community, etc… Kansas City offers a wide range of choices for anyone downsizing – but don’t wait too long! Start looking as soon as you decide to downsize. This will help you decide what the home movers will move with you and what is removed.
- Establish a budget and stick to it. A smaller home could end up costing you more if you are not mindful of how you intend to fill the space. Smaller bedrooms could mean smaller mattress and furniture. Big chunky furniture might not look as good in a condo living room. Consider location. Home movers may charge more for longer distances from point A to point B. Also consider commute and cost of gas to get to work.
Downsizing and relocating to a new home in Kansas City does not have to be a horrible experience. Superior Moving & Storage is here to help take some of the hassle out of the experience. Think about the life you’ll get in exchange for all the things you’re leaving behind. Make sure your new life is as happy and stress-free as possible. Give us a call today and let our home movers get you started.